Cartographica can merge layers with similar data into a single layer, creating a new layer with the contents of all the selected layers, and removing the original layers.
This is commonly used to put like data together in a single layer for easy manipulation.
Consolidating layers will remove all of the selected layers from the map and replace them with a single layer that has all of the features of the selected layers.
- Layers must contain the same kinds of features (points, lines, or polygons).
- Layers with different dimensionality (2D, 3D, or 4D) will be upgraded to the highest dimensionality of the set.
- Optionally, you can choose to consolidate data fields for layers containing columns of the same name by clicking the
Consolidate data fields with the same namecheckbox. Columns with different names will be appended and the data for the other features will be left blank.
- In the Layer Stack, select the multiple layers you want to merge, by command-clicking the mouse on each layer.
Choose Layer > Merge Selected Layers
The Merge Selected Layers dialog appears.Merge Selected Layers
- If you would like to add a column to each entry in the new layer stating which layer the entry originated from, check Add original layer name in From Layer field.
- Choose which Layer the styles come from using Inherit styles fromdrop down.
- Now click Consolidate